Fundamental Youth Basketball Association
FYBA Return to Play - Fall 2020
FYBA Kelowna & Vernon Fall Programs coming soon!
Dates for our March Madness 3x3 Tournament are now available!
Registration for our Spring Break Camps is now open!
Are you one of the best u10-13 boys in the province? Don't miss out on the BCCBA league this winter!
FYBA Return to Play- Covid-19 Protocols
Since our return to training in early June 2020, FYBA has been diligent about meeting guidelines set by our governing bodies and the Interior Health Authority in order to provide safe training opportunities for our athletes. We want to thank you all for partnering with us in following these protocols and in particular maintaining physical distancing and regular hand sanitizing at FYBA events. We want to ensure that we do our part so that our sport can return to play and so far these protocols have allowed us to enjoy a summer of basketball without any disruptions and we are excited to continue that into the Fall!
Please see below for a detailed list of the adaptations to all FYBA activities that will continue to be in place in order to meet the Return to Play Guidelines set by Basketball BC and viaSport BC. As a province BC has been following the viaSport Return to Sport Phases and as of August 25, 2020 we are in Phase 3: Progressive Loosening of Restrictions.
In order to minimize risks related to COVID-19 the following will continue to be in place for all FYBA events.
• During Phase 3, group size in the facility will be limited to 3-4 persons per hoop.
• Maximum occupancy and per hoop limits will be communicated to players and coaches.
• Physical distancing guidelines (2-meter minimum separation) will be communicated to players and coaches and will be posted throughout the facility.
• Physical distancing will continue to be expected during training events unless directed by your coaches. There will be a slow re-introduction of close contact , physical contact and competition activities.
• Coaches and Players will be educated to the new protocols through written communication and on-site education upon restart of athletic activity.
• Players and coaches must acknowledge the new protocols and sign a FYBA Participant Agreement ( see link below) of understanding before participating in gymnasium activity.
• Signage will be posted throughout the facility to promote physical distancing and appropriate personal hygiene while within the facility.
• Community spectators are not permitted in Phase 3.
• If parent attendance is required for an athlete to participate than one parent will be permitted. They will be required to physically distance from everyone in the facility other than their athlete and it is strongly recommended they wear a mask while in the facility.
• Depending on the facility, masks for entry and exit protocols may be required and participants will be notified of this.
• All participants need to pre-register with full name and contact information in the event of an outbreak.
• All participants should be aware of the risks associated with participation, including the risks of contracting COVID-19.
• All participants should review and sign the FYBA participant agreement and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participant Screening For Illness:
Before arrival at the facility players and coaches will:
•Perform a self-assessment of personal wellness
•Stay at home if any symptoms of illness are present
•Bring only required items to the facility
•Refrain from bringing any non-program members (parents, girlfriends etc.) to the facility
•Before entry to the facility, all players and coaches will answer the following screening questions:
Do you have a fever, cough or difficulty breathing?
Have you or anyone in your household travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
Have you had any contact with a confirmed or possible case of COVID-19?
Entry and Exit Guidelines:
• All players and coaches will enter and exit the facility through the marked doors to avoid face to face contact and possible inadvertent contact at the front door.
• Use the provided hand sanitizer upon entry and exit of the facility.
• Avoid gathering in any common areas before or after sessions around the facility and maintain proper social distancing when this is not possible.
• Refrain from bringing any spectators, non-program members into the facility
• Upon completion of training session, all players and coaches will collect all personal items and prepare for exit as quickly as possible.
• Perform hand hygiene using the provided liquid hand sanitizer.
Facility Cleaning and Hygiene:
FYBA basketball will implement the following cleaning and hygiene protocols to reduce the risk of surface transmission
• Players and coaches will use hand sanitizer upon entry or exit from the facility.
• Players and coaches will be educated to the importance of good hygiene during time in the facility.
• All participants will avoid touching one's face and when needed should sneeze/cough into their elbow.
• Players will refrain from handshakes, high fives, or other interpersonal contact during your time in the facility.
• Players will provide their OWN basketball.
• Players will provide their OWN water bottle, towel or other personal items, and will not allow others to share your items.
• Water bottle fill stations are available, there will be no access to drinking fountains.
• Bathroom access will be available, each participant will ensure the bathroom is as tidy when they leave as when they entered. Surface sanitizing spray will be available.
• All garbage or recyclable drink containers will be disposed of in receptacles provided.
• Common equipment (basketballs, training items) will be thoroughly disinfected using surface sterilizing spray at the completion of gym activity.
• All unnecessary equipment, chairs, or other items will be removed from the training area to limit surfaces that could be contaminated.
• Coaches will be educated on the use of the cleaning systems and of the importance of thorough disinfection.
• Thorough disinfection of touchpoints washrooms and common areas will take place at the completion of all gym activities.
Illness Protocol (Updated as of Phase 3- please review with your athlete)
• Communicate to an individual in a position of authority (coach, team manager, program coordinator) immediately if, you feel any symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and painful swallowing, stuffy or runny nose, loss of sense of smell, headache, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea or diarrhea.
• Team members must review the self-assessment signage located throughout the facility each morning before their shift/practice/activity to attest that they are not feeling any of the COVID 19 symptoms.
• If team members are unsure use the online BC Covid-19self- assessment tool.
• Coaches may visually monitor team members to assess any early warning signs as to the status of their health and to touch base on how they are regarding their personal safety throughout the workday/practice/activity.
• If a Team Member is feeling sick with COVID-19 symptoms:
a. They should remain at home and contact Health Link BC at 8-1-1.
b. If they begin to feel sick they should be sent home immediately and contact 8-1-1 for further guidance.
c. No team member may participate if the are symptomatic.
• If a Team Member tests positive for COVID-19, follow the direction of health officials.
5. Quarantine or Self-Isolate
• Procedure to follow if:
a. You have travelled outside of Canada or the province within the last 14 days.
b. You have come into close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID
c. If You have been advised to do so by health officials.